Hyatt Ziva Cancun Mexico Visit- August 2016-Dream Makers Vacation ServicesPosted: September 15 2016
Related Categories: Destinations Mexico Cancun Resorts Hyatt Reviews
We (Mike and Amy McHugh, co-owners Dream Makers Vacation Services) spent 3 nights recently at the Hyatt Ziva Cancun in Mexico with our 4 children, who are 18, 15, 12 and 8. We started our journey with flights on Frontier out of PHL. Frontier is not our carrier of choice but the flights were inexpensive and were on time, so everything worked out.
Upon arrival in CUN, immigration/customs took about 30 minutes and after we claimed our baggage and went outside we were met by staff members of AMSTAR. AMSTAR is a destination company and provides transfers and excursions for many of our clients. We were offered cold bottled water and off we went. The drive to the Hyatt Ziva Cancun was about 30 minutes and as always the transfer was a great way to see this beautiful country. This resort opened approx. 10 months ago and is located on the site of the former Dreams Cancun. The transformation is amazing, it’s a completely new resort and is located in the downtown Cancun hotel zone which is a perfect location. It is in a very unique location—the only resort in Cancun that is surrounded by the ocean on 3 sides. So, almost every room has a waterview. It is really a great resort for families and groups.
Due to the size of our family, we got 2 rooms. We were booked in two Club Oceanfront Doubles. We arrived early, so our rooms were not quite ready. We ate at Habaneros which is located on the beach and has shaded (and unshaded) seating. Their menu has a focus on tacos and other favorite Mexican dishes. The service was good and we were back to the lobby. Our rooms were ready so Fernando in Bell Services escorted us to our rooms. He was enthusiastic and informative, a great ambassador for this property.
Our Club Level rooms were lovely and well-appointed with great views. There are numerous benefits to reserving Club Level rooms, here are some highlights: located in our own tower in a prime location; guests receive a private check in and check out; sitting areas in their rooms; enjoyed our Espresso machine; had access to the Club Level Lounge; upgraded snacks in the room; and an enhanced bar area. Housekeeping came early and they were polite and efficient. Tipping is included in your stay, yet you can tip for excellent service. We did (bring lots of small bills) and it was much appreciated.
Some highlights of our stay:
- Our trip was during the Olympics and we are big fans of watching them. There were large televisions throughout the resort with coverage and themed Olympic fun activities by the Entertainment Staff. Our favorite spot was the Brew Pub.
- Tres Cervesez is the Brew Pub on site and is beautiful. The Pub brews 3 (aka the name!) types of beer and has other drinks to choose. They have a menu of pub food as well. The wings were awesome and were a great way to begin or end your night. They had over 10 kinds of wings on the menu but we enjoyed the buffalo (my favorite!), barbecue and bourbon-there is something for everyone. This was the largest Pub (on a resort level) that I have visited and I loved it.
- Pasteles is the candy and sweets establishment. This takes the coffee/pastry shops that other resorts have, to a new level. You could pick from lollipops, have cotton candy made for you (you pick the colors), could get ice cream, cookies, etc. Awesome! One night, our two boys said that they were going to the room and we walked by Pasteles and found them there—getting almost everything. Fun times!
- We ate at Tradewinds one night for dinner, their steak house. I thought the food was decent (not my fave) but the view was awesome. Ask for an outside table as the views and atmosphere were lovely.
- Tennis-Our 15 year old wanted to play while on vacation. The resort has one court, in the adults-only section (Turquoise) on the 3rd floor. The court was in good shape and the Tennis Pro (Aldo) was awesome. They host 3 free clinics a day and Aldo gave her a great workout. She did 3 clinics and was the only person 2 times and the last time one other person. He is also on the Entertainment staff and will play at night upon request. We highly recommend playing with Aldo if you play tennis.
- The Moongate-This restaurant has an ala carte menu as well as a Tepananyaki area. No reservations are needed. We could have been seated for ala carte right away, but we wanted Tepanayaki, so we had a 45 minute wait (we arrived at 7:00 pm and recommend that you arrive before then). They gave us a pager while we enjoyed an adult beverage at Tres Cervesez. Abel was our server and Manuel was our Chef. The food was very good and the presentation was pleasant. We sat at a long table/grill which was nice as everyone had great views of what was happening.
- The Beach-Hyatt Ziva Cancun has water/beach on both sides. The side near the main pool area is where the watersports are located and where almost everyone hangs out. The beach is GREAT! There was a little seaweed close to the sand but there were paths you could walk through and 5 steps later you were in gorgeous, clear water. Amazing!
- Food carts-One afternoon, a food cart had frozen mangos on sticks! I do not even like mangos, yet found this delicious. They had toppings such as coconut, different sauces, lemon, almonds and chili powder. What a great idea and it was quite refreshing.
- Location: As mentioned, The Hyatt Ziva Cancun is on a great location at the end of the hotel district. You are within walking distance of shopping and nightlife (Coco Bongo!) which is great. The girls and I decided to go to Luxury Avenue which is an area with approx. 25 high end stores, which includes Burberry, Coach, Cartier, Ultrafemme as well as others. This was a $10 cab ride (a few miles from the resort) and was fun. Our daughter bought a few things at their Forever 21 and the pricing was comparable to what we have in the US, but with a more unique selection.
We own one of the top travel agencies in the US, Dream Makers Vacation Services, and are blessed to visit many top resorts. We were very pleased with our visit and think that this is a great resort for a family vacation or a vacation with friends. No resort is perfect, but this one ticks many of the boxes that most travelers want and we would love to discuss it more with you. As always, please contact your Dream agent with any questions and to reserve your next vacation.